Wednesday, February 27, 2008

...And then I did not get carjacked.

There have been a few carjackings on and around campus lately. Not your average, friendly, get-outta-the-car-or-I'll-hit-you-with-this-crowbar carjackings, either - no, these have involved real, actual guns. Campus security has been sending out e-mails, everyone is supposed to be extra-vigilant, yadi yadi. So you may understand why I'm a teensy bit paranoid.

Tonight after class, I walked out to my car, got in, started it up, and started to drive off. Then I heard a sharp, metallic "tappa-tappa-tappa-tappa" from the passenger side. Gulp. I slowly looked over. Nothing. I checked the back seat. Nothing. I made sure the doors were locked. (They were.) I started the journey home again, a bit more quickly this time.

More tapping, more urgent - "Tappatappatappatappatappa!"

Me, mentally - "I'm-so-sorry-sir-if-you-want-my-four-door-mom-car-with-the-factory-speakers-
here-go-ahead-and-take-it!!!"

I proverbially screeched to an actual halt. This set off a "TAPPATAPPATAPPATAPPATAPPATAPPA!"

At this point, I realized what it was. Ice from the beverage I'd had earlier was clinking against the side of my shiny new travel mug that I'd stuck in the cupholder on the passenger side. It was chilly enough to keep all of the ice from melting...but warm enough that my drink hadn't frozen solid, for the first time in several months.

To-dos: drop paranoia. Clean out car.

2 comments:

Heather said...

You is a funny girl. I is a liking you friend. (I think I've been looking at too many LOLCats lately. :-P)

Anonymous said...

woah. you hold on a minute. dont clean your car too well cuz then the carjackers are gonna be like, "look at that really clean mom-car! i want that one!" And thats not good for business.