Monday, October 22, 2007

Sugar-free me

Just in case I wasn't motivated by Julie Walker's threats of imminent death (or at least an ambulance ride) if I consume sugar, here's one more reason to skip it: a nasty little process known as glycation.

During glycation, sugar in your bloodstream attaches to protein to form advanced glycation end products (AGEs, har har). AGEs damage collagen and elastin in skin, collagen goes from elastic and springy to dry and brittle, and just like that, your skin looks like that t-shirt you've had stuffed under the front seat of your car all summer.

Our lesson today? No sugar = an ambulance-free, wrinkle-free life. And who doesn't want that?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Me,apparently. I am an addict. Okay, now I have more motivation. Brittle skin seems like more of a motivator than fat. We'll see how that pans out. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Okay, didn't pan out well. Went to Sheridan's. Sad face.

Erin said...

It's OK. I did that two days ago. Some situations deserve ice cream. (Julie: I've been really, really good otherwise. I'm a size 4 now. Seriously.)