Monday, May 12, 2008

Go to sleep, little appendix.

So much happened in the last two weeks that I'm basically opting out on blogging it. It would take forever, and you probably wouldn't want to read a 894-paragraph blog anyway. Suffice it to say - Peru was amazing, Bolivia was beautiful, and I have the best fiancé ever. (Side note: he left for California yesterday - HOW was that only yesterday? - and I miss him terribly. But I digress.)

World travels and engagement news aside, let us move on to more mundane aspects of my life.

I have a Weird Pain in my side. (Hey, I said mundane.) My lower right side. Which, traditionally, is where your appendix lives.

(This would probably be a good time to point out that I know just enough about medicine to be dangerous. My mom taught me to read on her American Journal of Nursing magazines, which resulted in a four-year-old me running to her with a bruise and saying, "Mommy? Is this a symptom of acute mylogeneous leukemia?")

Anyway, at the first sign of a Weird Pain in the general area of my appendix, I waste no time in jumping to the conclusion that my appendix will surely burst, I will immediately develop peritonitis, and tomorrow will find me in the hospital having emergency surgery instead of taking my theology final. Because the only symptom of appendicitis that I am currently manifesting is this weird abdominal pain, and not nausea, vomiting, fever, or anything else that goes along with Needing To Have Your Appendix Out, my appendix (whom I've nicknamed Melvin) and I are going to go to bed. Hopefully a nap will calm him down, and all will be well in the morning.

3 comments:

Sneezy said...

Next time you have the pain, observe yourself in the mirror. If you turn a weird yellowish color, then I'd bet the pain and jaundice means gall bladder. :)

Anonymous said...

ok. erin, how are you going to fit into your wedding dress if your appendix bursts? get real, girl! (who says that kind of thing?!)

Sneezy said...

Please end the suspense! What is/was it?