Wednesday, June 18, 2008

One of us

Dear Chicago,
Thank you.

You see, it's been a bit of a rough year. I've lost a few good friendships, and the process of those losses has caused me to question myself. Am I REALLY that funny/smart/interesting/good at using proper punctuation?

What if I'm selfish and boring and have been using semi-colons incorrectly this whole time?

You, all of you, made me feel entirely wrapped up in and surrounded by and connected with love. You're all such amazing, wonderful, (insert complementary adjective here) people - and spending the weekend with you made me realize that maybe it wasn't my fault that I lost those particular friendships - maybe it was just part of the process that happens when two people are growing, but their relationship is not. And not to go all Hallmark on you, but this past weekend really gave me a lot of hope for new and healthy relationships in the future.

So thank you, Chicago. You were more healing than you know. And also, you have really great hotdogs.

Love,
Erin

Author's note: The term "Chicago" includes but is not limited to Minnesota, San Diego, Massachusetts, Haifa, and Los Angeles.

"Someday, the light will shine like a sun through my skin & they will say, What have you done with your life? & though there are many moments I think I will remember, in the end, I will be proud to say, I was one of us." - Brian Andreas

3 comments:

Lorenia said...

I cannot wait to see you and give you A GIGANTOR HUG. xo

Anonymous said...

oh honey! I feel the same way about you!!! You are the best and you will always have a place to stay in chi-town, well as long as we live here then you can come stay there too...:)wherever "there" is...
love ya lots,
nassim
ps. is it wierd that I miss you guys so much?

Heather said...

Dear Erin,

I'm glad you had such a wonderful time here! I wish I could have been a part of it! Next time for sure!!

Love,
Heather