Thursday, August 9, 2007

That Darn Groundhog (Working title: Meet Mr. McGillicutty!)

Yesterday, while doing dishes and gazing out the back window admiring the wonders of nature, I saw It. A large, rodent-like creature sitting on the concrete edging, nibbling delicately at the Black-Eyed Susans. Having never seen this creature in Real Life before, I didn't know quite what to think. My initial thoughts were wolverine (too small) or badger (not striped) but after a Google search and consultation with my mom and a visiting friend, we settled on groundhog.

After identifying him* we were able to hunt down suggestions as to how to remove him from the premises. One website suggested catch-and-release, fumigation, or "just shooting it, if it's safe and legal." First, please do not refer to Mr. McGillicutty as "it." Second, I somehow doubt that a town that employs an ordinance banning clotheslines is going to be OK with shooting a groundhog in the city limits. Third, HOW COULD I SHOOT MR. MCGILLICUTTY?!? HOW, I ask you? Ahem.

I think it's been established that the household is for the "catch and release" option. We're pretty sure we're going to go with the same company that took care of a little rodent problem in the attic of my former Overland Park apartment. Anyone who can capture 27 squirrels, one of whom was extremely angry, over the course of two hours in a February snowstorm will always get my repeat business.

*By "identifying him," I mean not only figuring out what he was, but also naming him. He's now known around the house as Mr. McGillicutty, and it's my personal belief that were it up to him, he would wear a bow tie and a pair of white gloves.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Excellent name choice and he would look quite dashing in that ensemble.

Andrew said...

Magillicutty? Or McGillicutty? Either way, it's the Most Hilarious Name Ever.

Erin said...

Possibly MacGillicutty? He WAS carrying bagpipes when he showed up today. Well, not really, but that would've been great.