Thursday, August 23, 2007

Random Facts

It always takes me a while to wind down after work, mainly because I'm usually so awake that I'm thinking about 87 different things. Here's a sampling:

*I am so looking forward to the day when I can go to work and not be dressed like a man. Also, after I am done at the Cheese, I am never going to wear white pants again.

*Even though I am a Grown-Up, weird noises outside still freak me out. There was just a weird noise outside.

*I tend to get life lessons in strange places - when I was volunteering at the hospital, a woman came in to see her husband after he'd had heart surgery. They'd been married for 60 years. As I was taking her in to see him, she told me to make sure I married someone I liked, because we wouldn't always love each other, but it was nice to have a friend there for the times you weren't in love. (Note: I did not take that as a negative comment. I really don't think that you can fill 60 years of marriage with "romantic" love, but it's nice to think that you can hang out with your best friend in the in-between times.)

*Musical fact: despite duple meter being nice, friendly time signatures (2/4, 4/4, etc.), triple meter (3/4, 9/8) is actually referred to as "perfect time." This is because the Catholic church was the primary patron of the musical arts in medieval and Renaissance times. The Holy Trinity, and thus the number 3, was considered perfect. Therefore, sacred music was always in triple meter, while secular music was in duple meter. Perfect time was noted with a full circle. Imperfect time (duple meter) was noted with a circle that was open on the right side - which is why we use a symbol that looks like the letter "C" to denote common time.

*A friend recently asked me what my purpose in life was. Professionally, it's a work in progress. And while I do think that everyone has smaller, specific purposes that tend to change as they're realized, overarching purpose stays the same. Personally, my purpose in life is to be a positive influence for the people around me, to love and be loved, and to have a comfortable house with great chairs for reading where all the neighborhood kids know they can come for cookies. That may seem insignificant to someone who has bigger plans to change the world, but my changes have to be effected in smaller ways.

*The world has really been making me feel loved lately, and I'm so very thankful for that.

*After three days of piano lessons, I am pleased to say that I can now play scales. My left hand, which has always served as a paperweight or a place to put my other mitten, is even in on the game.

And now...I must sleep.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

you are so funny! and smart. I loved this post. Love getting to see a piece of you. Ballet and piano lessons, wow, good for you - I'm impressed. Mightily impressed little missy.

Unknown said...

There goes my little trashcan again.

Unknown said...

but if you never get to dress like a man at work, that means you can't be a police officer, soldier, or knight. Geez. What's wrong with being a knight, huh?

Andrew said...

Guitar put an end to my "left-hand as paper weight" days. And for that I'm very thankful.

And hey! What's wrong with man clothes!?

(food for thought: women sometimes have to wear man clothes to work, but men never ever have to wear woman clothes to work. eh? eh??)

Heather said...

I *heart* your blog. In a million different ways. I just wanted to let you know that. :-) Also, we definitely need to talk about your appointment with JW soon! I haven't been on to chat much this weekend, but I'm sure we'll find some time this week, yes? I do hope so! :-)