Sunday, December 12, 2010

Lord give me patience, because if you give me strength I might choke someone.

I'm sure you've run into them too - those insipid creatures who demand their own way at the expense of your patience, who kick their feet and sob when something goes wrong, who sometimes seem to be the behavioral equivalent of a ticking time bomb. No, I'm not talking about toddlers - I'm talking about adults who act like 'em. I ran across a print by a lovely artist out of Iowa recently that very much reminded me of the particular brand of behavior that I am forced to deal with all too often:

"What are the rules? I said & she said, Do exactly what I want whenever I want, make no demands of me whatsoever & love me forever, no questions asked & I said, how do you win? & she said, you don't understand. I'm the only one who wins & then she laughed & clapped her hands. Isn't it a great game? she said." - Brian Andreas

How do you deal with the people in your life who seem to only be pleased when everyone else is miserable? Personally, I'm finding that a combination of techniques from Supernanny (calm, consistent behavior with follow-through on consequences) and Cesar Millan (no hitting, beating, or poking) seems to be working nicely.

2 comments:

Lorenia said...

I use a combination of the same techniques, although the "no beating" one is difficult at times. ;-)

Della C said...

Hello! I'm your new neighbour on blogger (you know, where it says NEXT BLOG). Well I'm next door but one, so I just thought I'd pop by to see who you are and your blog has made me smile twice in two minutes! Thanks, and if you like oriental food, or have never made jam but want to, pop over for the recipe!